Saturday, May 29, 2004

Ice Fishing and Seal skinning

After yesterday's teacher fishing expedition, there was movie night at the school. They show movies projected onto the wall of the gym using and lcd projector. They typically show 2 movies. The first movie was Peter Pan and I caught the last bit of that. Little kids were running around and slinking around under my chair and grabbing onto my feet. I'm constantly being asked what my name is because all of the students only begin to learn English in grade 3 and I suppose that conversational English starts with "Hello What's your name"? The second movie was Scary Movie 2 and I, like most of our students, decided to give that one a pass.

Today we took the students out on the land to go fishing. This time I rode both ways on the Hamatik which is a large sled that the skidoo drags behind it. The students had a great time lying on the ice looking for fish and jigging their lines. I don't think any of them ever caught anything other than each others lures. Our hosts lit a campfire and cooked us up some hot dogs on sticks and a kind of stew prepared in tightly wrapped aluminium foil. One of the packages broke and spilled its contents onto the grate over the fire. Lisi started to rescue pieces of food as quickly as she could and flicked them onto the lichen-covered ground next to the fire. She called the students over and I had a great time videotaping the kids while they picked pieces of chicken off the ground using sticks and feeding them to each other. We all got a little sunburned. My nose is pretty red (again) despite three applications of sunscreen with spf 45 today. And it has been very overcast the entire time we've been here in Sanikiluaq. Imagine if I hadn't worn any at all.

After we returned and freshened up, it was another night at the school. Lisi had hired a hunter to go out onto the land a kill a seal. We all watched while the seal was skinned and butchered in the skin room (aptly named). I got some great video footage. She cut through the skin and then scraped the blubber away from the meat. Each of us were offered a piece of the raw liver (a delicacy meant to honour guests). And I gotta say, our students for the most part were receptive, and excited and ate their liver. I've also got some great video of them eating flesh from ribs, drinking blood, and eating brain. I even have footage of the squeamish one shyly looking over the others from outside the doorway. I tried the flesh from the rib myself and well, it tastes like...blood. But you have to expect that and seal is the stape bread and butter food of the Inuit. They eat it, use it for light, heat, games, cloths and all kinds of things. An elder explained the importance of the seal at the end of the evening.

Tomorrow is church day and I plan to spend it relaxing and hunting down some nifly inuit soapstone. Best to all.

Leslie

5 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is hilarious! What an adventure you're all having. It's great you've got all this on video, for posterity.I've forwarded the URL to the rest of the family.
Mum

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Dave Miller Mon. May 29, 11:00 am
Hi Leslie, Hi Brian, Hi Haigers

Leslie,
Keep up the good work with the great postings! It's very cool to hear what you guys have been doing. It sounds as if your hosts have really organized a lot of traditional activities that our students could only do by being there. I can't wait to see you pics and video. Hi to Brian for me.
DLM

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie: I came here looking for information on ice fishing tip and found your post on Ice Fishing and Seal skinning. Although it's not quite the information I was looking for, I appreciate the chance to have a read. I'll definately be checking back in. I'm off to look for more resources for ice fishing tip. If you have any more great suggestions, please post them here and I'll come back to check. Thanks again!

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Leslie...I was browsing for information on ice fishing equipment when I stumbled on to your blog. I can tell why with your latest post on Ice Fishing and Seal skinning it really caught my attention. I'd love to see more information about ice fishing equipment and I'll come back by to see what you have going on here as well. Thanks again!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger L said...

Hello Ice fishing and ice fishing shanty! I can't believe that you posted this comment so long ago! Glad you enjoyed the post! I love the North! I wish I knew more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home