Wednesday, February 13, 2013

London Pride

After Russell picked me up from the airport, we drove through the quiet pre-dawn roads of London to their beautiful flat in the neighborhood called 'Barnes' which is just outside of central London and has a gorgeous and serene view of the Thames.

I arrived in time to have breakfast with the kids as they were getting ready for school and then Kim, the kids, and I went on a neighborhood walk to orient me a bit, find the bus stop as well as the local shops.  I had been wearing my mid-warmth jacket and sneakers and quickly found out that this was not nearly warm enough for London especially since my blood had been dramatically thinned by southeast Asia.  I made it back to the flat alone for some down time and spent quite a lot of it warming back up.  I had only been out for maybe 20 minutes and I felt like I would never be warm again!

I headed into downtown and met Russell for a pint at the 'Lamb and Flag' before heading to the Royal Opera House to see Sarah perform in Onegin.  I was so jetlagged by then, as well as being generally tired from the events of the previous two days, but was so excited to finally be there that I was glad to stand behind the orchestra stalls to watch the performance.  I have seen 'Onegin' performed a couple of times by the Royal Ballet of Canada and it's true that Rex Harrington does it well.  But Sarah's performance was so deep, and smart, and gorgeous, and I knew that I was seeing something special.  The way her character changed and grew through the story was unlike anything I had ever seen before and I loved it.  The dramatic pas-de-deux right before the first intermission was so fast, so committed, so passionate...and the finale was so complex that it gave me goosebumps.  After the performance I used my new Vietnamese crowd navigating skills to make my way to a meetup point where Sarah's husband Patrick took me and her friend Ellie backstage.  I got to see the stagehands tearing down the set to prepare for the British Art and Film Awards and then got to see Sarah and her father John (whom I haven't seen in 13 years).  I got some great photos, chatted briefly with her and her dad, and then let her get back to her changeroom to begin the process of taking off her makeup and get ready for the next day which I'm sure begins with a four-hour class.  Sarah has sacrificed everything to be the best.  I will not have a chance to catch up with her (and I did not expect to).  I wonder if people know, when they are watching the dancers take the formal curtain calls, how much these people give up.

The next day Kim, Russell, the kids and I walked around the neighborhood of Barnes a bit and climbed the bell tower of a church that was built by Henry VIII.  The volunteer led us all carefully up the narrow spiral staircase to the top and then showed us how the 8 great bells are rung.  After that we walked to the pond and fed the ducks.  This neighborhood is full of young families and seems to be a good place to grow up.

On Monday I headed into downtown and made my way to the British Tate Museum.  A lot of the exhibitions were under renovation but I was still glad to be out of the cold and walking through galleries of paintings and bronzes.  I took the ferry to the Tate Modern and discovered that this is where all the action is.  The museum was packed with tourists and school groups (even after 4pm!).  I joined a free tour of the galleries on the 4th floor and enjoyed looking at pieces that are meant to make you aware of their materials and composition.  Massive steel beams balanced just so or a huge tree carved away to reveal what seems to be a young tree inside.  I wandered around looking for the Rodin 'The Kiss' that I know is supposed to be there (one of a handfull in the world) and eventually had to ask where it was only to find out it was off display.  Boo.

I then walked across the Millenium pedestrian bridge, took a look at the ever-impressive St. Paul's, walked to Blackfriars underground station, and made my way back home.

Yesterday morning I went to Cameron's school and watched one of those little assemblies that kids put on for parents.  Watching six-year olds tell the story of the Chinese New Year and seven-year olds act out the lives of Empire penguins was a good chance to snap some photos for my hosts but also gave me a little bit of insight into what it must have been like for my parents to watch seventeen years worth of band recitals. 

After this, I met Sue (from the first G Adventues tour) who came in on the bus from Norfolk and we walked around Westminister, took a bus to Oxford Circus, and then went shopping along Oxford street.  I wish the weather could have been just a little bit warmer so it would have been pleasant to sit outside in Trafalgar Square or St. James Park.  Hopefully the next time I am here I will be able to do that.  Good British beers and ciders were drunk, and it was so nice to catch up with a friend.

Tonight I will see Sarah perform Thais after having one more London Pride at the pub.  This will bring me to the end. 

Thank you for reading.

Leslie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home