Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Return to Siem Reap

Last Friday was the last day of school.  Friday evening, I finished my final packing in preparation for my return to Cambodia one more time.  I am very grateful to Heidi for offering (and meaning it) to drive me to the airport for 4:30am.  The highways were empty and we flew along them easily to the airport.  'This is going to be a piece of cake' I thought to myself as I walked into Terminal 3.  Wrong.  I think that every single family and student on Earth was going on a trip to Europe and using the US as a transfer point.  There were thousands of people lined up at the various American carriers.  It took me a while to check in, and after my luggage tags were first printed incorrectly, I began to get a little nervous about ever seeing my stuff again 30 hours later in Cambodia.

After I finally got my tags, I joined the line thought to myself  'why aren't they taking the bags away before I go through security'?  It was only after several switchbacks later, when I rounded the corner, that I realized that we all had to go through U.S. Customs and Immigration because our two countries have such a close relationship.  I had to tell some poor sweet Latino customs officer at 4 am that I was not planning to stay in New York but was continuing on to Cambodia.  He said 'why are you going to such a hot country'? and then stamped me through.  After I went through security, I managed to get to my gate with 15 minutes to spare.

I am not a fan of flying through the US because of this extra step in getting off the ground, and the American Airlines flight itself was nothing special.  I didn't realized that I had to leave the secure area in New York and check in all over again or else I would have stayed in the gate area where the good restaurants were for a while instead of hanging out in the check in area for 3 hours before I could check in with Korean Air.  On a positive note, JFK has soaring windows with trees inside, and I managed to find a quiet bench and took a nap with the sounds of the little birds who live in the airport chirping.

My flight from New York to Seoul was probably the best long-haul journey I have ever done.  I was excited to see that it was the new A380 800 Dreamliner and I distinctly remember gasping (just a little bit) when I saw it.  Lots of overhead space, good leg room, extra washrooms, and a large area that they call a lounge where you can stand around for those times when you can't take any more sitting.  Cleverly, they even filled the lounge with elegant displays of all of the pretty toiletries and liquors that are available for purchase as duty-free.  The cabin crew were all beautiful women with immaculate hair pulled into buns that were accented with a ribbon.  They also had huge starched kerchiefs around their necks.  After some scouting, I managed to spot the lone male flight attendant whose job seems to be to lift up and take down all of the pieces of 'carry on' that do not fit under the seat in front of their owners.  Before we started boarding, the cabin crew formed two perfect little blue and white satin circles for some kind of pow wow and they were so interesting to look at that people actually slowed down to stare.

Upon arriving in Siem Reap, I used my usual strategy of walking quickly (but in a dignified way) to get ahead of as many people as possible.  While most of them were still bemused at the wall of tropical air that hits you when you step onto the tarmac, I was handing the nice customs man my passport, photo, and 20 USD.  I even picked up a new sim card.  The driver from the Golden Temple Villa eyed my two pieces of luggage with poorly concealed puzzlement and I soon learned why.  Tuk Tuk.  He balanced the backpack on top of the suitcase and insisted that it would be perfectly safe.  After we turned our first corner, and I was holding on to everything for dear life, I hauled the pieces onto the floor of the carriage and sat cross-legged the rest of the way clutching my travel pillow to my chest.  Ah Cambodia.  He never new.

The Golden Temple Villa is situated in an excellent location that is a 2-minute walk to both Pub Street and the new Night Market.  They upgraded me to a larger room, and carried up my things for me.  The room is plenty big and has a large window looking over the rooftops of Siem Reap.
My room at the Golden Temple Villa
My first day in Siem Reap, all I did was walk around a bit to orient myself, purchase some groceries and sunglasses, and sort through some of the science supplies that were kindly donated and carried over in my second suitcase.
Tuk tuk making his way
I met Diane at the FCC for cocktails and to hear all of the latest news from Caring from Cambodia.

When I was here last time, the new high school was literally empty, and there was only one equipped science classroom.  During my visit last time, funding came through to pay for more science labs, and she tells me that they have all been set up.  Tomorrow I am heading out to Aranh high school to see Chanda, who is now a vice principal, and start to take an inventory of the equipment in the three labs there.

The lovely Terrace of the Elephants hotel
I am hoping to identify some missing key elements and purchase them with the funds that have been donated to my fundraising site.  Thanks again to everyone who donated.

Yesterday I spent the morning working on my Shad Valley lecture and workshop activity, and in the afternoon a Dutch girl that I met whose name is Elma and I biked over to the fancy sister hotel of our guesthouse to use the pool.  Dinner in Pub Street Alley and a stroll through the Night Market rounded out our day.  Things are getting so fancy now in Siem Reap.
Pub Street sure looks different during the day
 I did not think that Pub Street could get any crazier and I thought that the giant neon signs saying PUB STREET that hang above everyone's heads was a good way of letting you know that you are in the middle of it all, but now there are also these curious little multi-coloured cubes that are hanging from wires suspended over the street.  It is all very festive.  I will try to get a photo at night,

Thank you for reading!

Leslie


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home