Saturday, August 13, 2005

Cambrdige without kiddies

This morning Mark and Lindsay were up at 4am to get ready for a 5am departure for the airport and then Toronto. I got up with them to see them off but very quickly went back to bed.

I got into Cambridge and signed up for the 1:30pm walking tour of Cambridge. The tour was a good way to see Cambridge and get some important background information in a hurry. Really, it was pretty much a tour of the main sights of the colleges. It included a peek into the Cambridge Cavendish laboratory courtyard where all of these important discoveries have been made in science (such as the discovery of the electron and the Watson-Crick model of DNA). A memorably bit was the pub where Watson and Crick did most of their discussing and thinking. At Cambridge University you can't walk on the grass unless you are a senior fellow. Everyone has to stick to the paths. Pretty funny. The tour also included the interior of the King's College Chapel. This chapel is more beautiful and ornate than the one at Westminister Abbey. It was started by Henry VI and was not finished until the time of Henry VIII. You can see homages made to his various wives that help to date when a particular piece of wood or glass was commissioned.

After the tour I walked around by myself for a while and took some pictures and then went to the Eagle Pub (the Watson and Crick pub) and drank a couple of Guinesses and ate a sticky toffee pudding. That was pretty much all I wanted to accomplish today. The only thing to regret is that when I got home I dropped and broke one of the souvenir mugs that I bought. I bought two of the same ones intending one to be a gift so it isn't a catastrophe but still never fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home