Thursday, July 24, 2008

One Two Three - Five Six Seven



It's hard to believe that the program is almost half over. Tomorrow I say goodbye to my first group of students and welcome the second group next Monday. It's different spending all day with the same group. I will miss them I think.
Yesterday the other science teacher and I took our classes on a field trip to the Hong Kong Wetlands park. www.wetlandpark.com. It was so incredibly hot and the only fauna to see were dragonflies and damselflies. But the facility is beautiful. It was much more sculpted than I (Ontario girl) was expecting. A very nice sculpted marsh with a very well laid out boardwalk. I saw the famous Pui Pui crocodile. He poked his eyes above the water for us.
Last night I went out for dinner in the Soho area with one of the other teachers. This neighbourhood twists and turns with street leading off of street and each seems more hidden than the last. It's pretty obvious that this is one of the primary tourist destinations for food and it has really earned its reputation. There are people-movers (like the ones you see at airports) and escalators outdoors so you don't have to walk all the way up a long, steep hill. We had a really nice meal at a Thai restaurant called Pukhet. We then had a lychee cocktail before finding the salsa bar that was her ultimate destination. I haven't danced salsa in over a year and it took a few turns on the dance floor before everything started to come back. The place was tiny. Apparently the salsa community rotates locations going to a different place every night. There were only a handful of people who actually knew how to dance. And there were a lot of people there for whom dancing salsa was not so much a priority :) A little Bachatta, a little Meringue, a little Salsa... I'm satisfied. If we do this again I might have to buy a pair of shoes.
Tonight I went down to the harbour and walked around a bit. Sorry about the sound quality - I took this with my digital camera's video function.

Then I walked around the Tsim Sha Tsui area for while just taking it in. Stopping where I wanted to without worrying about a group getting away from me or anything like that. I found some fast Indian food that was hiding in an indoor market that I would very much like to try.
I managed to find my way back using the bus system. In addition to the little Toon Town city buses there are massive double decker buses that serve as the primary above-ground transit.
Everything is air conditioned. I even managed to figure out when to get off without getting lost. That was a first for me.
Thanks for visiting.
Leslie

1 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the video, Les! Much better than just seeing photos of the skyline. Glad you're having such a great time & haven't gotten (too) lost :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home